MSSU Student Research Symposium
This year the 2022 Student Research Symposium will be virtual. It will launch online beginning Wednesday, April 20th.
This event is open to students from all disciplines, including Master’s and Dual Credit students, providing them with an opportunity to showcase their research beyond the classroom setting. All MSSU students involved in research are encouraged to apply, and those not yet involved in research will learn about the many research opportunities available at Missouri Southern.
All students who are involved in faculty-guided research and creative activity—whether conducted as part of a class, internship, or program—are eligible to participate in the symposium, and they are encouraged to submit an abstract. Students may compete in six categories:
- Business, Engineering, and Technology
- Social Sciences
- Physical and Biological Sciences
- Health Sciences
It is the responsibility of the student and his/her faculty sponsor to properly classify the project and to select the category in which the student wants to compete.
Entries can include current or past work completed in the classroom. Entries might include business plans, literature reviews, stories, music, artwork, theatre demonstrations, or poetry, as well as technology, science projects, theory developed using mathematical tools, surveys, or data analyzed using statistical techniques. The poster for the virtual symposium this year will be a digital creation as a single PowerPoint slide accompanied by a 5-minute voiceover recording. Because students will not be able to discuss their poster in a public forum, the voiceover will allow them to present their research to a virtual audience.
There is no cost to attend or participate in the Student Research Symposium. The event is open to all students, staff, faculty, and community members.
First and second-place winners will be awarded in each of the six categories. Winners will receive an Amazon gift certificate in the amount of $100.00 for first place and $50.00 for second place. There will also be a top prize of $100.00 for best overall poster.
Please note the submission deadline for abstracts is Wednesday, March 30 by 5:00p.m. Submitted abstracts should describe the student’s research within the specified word limit. Students interested in submitting an abstract should know this is a professional conference.
You will be notified by Wednesday, April 6 as to whether or not your abstract has been accepted for inclusion in the Student Research Symposium.
For more information please contact Dr. Michael Howarth
Research Symposium Timeline
This timeline is intended to give students and their mentors an idea of the 2022 Student Research Symposium submission and presentation process.
Please contact Dr. Michael Howarth at Howarthemail@example.com if you have any questions.
- Students interested in submitting an abstract to the 2022 Student Research Symposium should seek mentor approval.
- Having secured a mentor, students should then work with their mentors to construct an abstract.
- Completed abstracts should be submitted by Wednesday March 30 at 5:00pm.
- The Review Committee will read the submissions on a rolling basis.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance by April 6.
- Students must submit their final work by April 13. This includes the digital poster and the 5 minute voiceover. This submission of the student’s final work confirms his/her participation in the Student Research Symposium.
- The judging will take place virtually on April 20.
- The Student Research Symposium will open to the public on April 22 and remain available for viewing until the end of the semester, at which point the abstracts and digital posters will be archived.
- The award winners in each category will be notified via email by April 22.